Monday, 10 February 2014

Blast from the past

A diary entry on my flight to Ireland from Switzerland on the 8th of October 2013 after finishing the Fall 2013 season with VC.....

Here I am again, on yet another Aerlingus flight. High above a blanket of fluffy clouds which appear beautiful from the top however I'm sure they promise rain down under. Its hard to believe I've completed my 4th season with Village camps!!

The Ardeche was as beautiful as ever. The mass floods of inexperienced punters had dwindled down so the river was exceptionally quite compared to last spring.  We also had the advantage of being the only camp still working on the river so we practically had the river to ourselves, which was great! The caving sessions were muddier than ever thanks to Coral, our new secret evening activities went down a treat and a new program was even added which I like to call the "Nations" walk. The flexibility and creativity of our new camp director gives the camp a new and refreshing vibe. With music at meal times, interesting facts of the day and enthusiastic staff members it gives me confidence that the camp will continue to grow and better itself with every season.

As the schools program ran from Monday-Friday we were lucky enough to get the weekends off! This time was usually spent  climbing and going on adventures but for those of us who were in our 20+ week of working with VC this year our weekends primarily included lots of snuggles and cuddles, Disney movies, Bbqs, dinner partys, gary ball,  my fluffy unicorn outfit, floating around the river on a lilo and ALOT of Nutella. Romances blossomed, the groups were fantastic and the craic was mighty.

As we only had three groups our season in the beautiful Ardreche slipped away pretty fast but we still finished with an epic staff party across the water....then in the water!  Fortunately a group of us got an extra weeks work in Sass Fee, Switzerland which meant a number of things; We would get to spend time with the Switz VC crew, we stayed in bedrooms with real walls and best of all we were able to attend the end of season VCstaff party, which was amazing...besides from my duck being stolen that is.....I actually came straight from the party at 3am to the Airport so I'm a little ZzzzZzz. The Sass Valley is so beautiful, I was so happy to be engulfed by the Swiss mountains, to see snow again, to breathe in that fresh mountain air. To be honest being in the mountains makes me feel complete. I'm so excited to move back to Verbier. To see my board, to ride the mountain, make new friends, catch up with old ones! Oh the endless possibilities and it all lays ahead of me. Let the good times roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment